Wednesday, September 2, 2015

To combat my low moods

I've been waking ten minutes earlier than my usual wake up time to do a little bit of exercise. First it started with thirty minutes, but I had to face it it was cutting too much into my morning, and I wasn't about to wake up thirty minutes earlier. Mornings are always hectic, so I chose to do only ten to fifteen minutes. It was difficult not to press the snooze button, but I've gotten the hang of it. I place my phone far from my bed and close to the bathroom, so I must get up to silence it, and since the bathroom is there I just step in there to use it and brush my teeth. And I'm awake.

It's been difficult, and I admit I go on and off this routine, but I'm not off it for more than a week, which is nothing to how it was in past years. I'll do the routine for two months then I'm off for six months. Now I've been doing it for six, that's big for me.

I've been doing this to see how it affects my moods because honestly it's been horrible. I've read that exercising is good to combat some depression because it releases endorphins. And I want to be able to feel happy, or at least have some clarity and get myself in the right direction.

So far I hadn't gotten rid of that constant low feeling until a couple of weeks ago. However, there are other things that have changed about a couple of weeks ago too, so I think all that has some part in this. One: I've been off work because the school is closed until next week and I think perhaps the lack of to dos from work helps, and since I won't have my class come fall I don't have to worry about planning. (I'm off work but that doesn't mean I get to sleep in. I must wake up at the same time because my son started school. So I'm referring here to work related stress) Two: I get to bed earlier. Not working means I get to be at home taking care of house stuff and food, so when I get home with my son I can help with homework, and have dinner without being rushed. Oh, and three:I've cut down on caffeine, I'm still drinking coffee but it's my coffee from home so I have control over how strong the coffee will be, as opposed to the coffee I'd buy at say Starbucks. I believe the coffee is a big thing because my crash isn't bad, it's not even there. I'm not tired at all by late afternoon. This could also be because of sleep though.

I guess I'd have to see if the coffee and sleep help with the tiredness once I get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment